Sunday, March 1, 2009

Before And After

Here is a neglected Barbie doll that I got at a thrift shop. She was dirty and had messed up hair. But she had beautiful green eyes....so I "rescued" her.

I used the hair detangling method linked in my sidebar, (Barbie Hair Rescue) using a high quality hair conditioner. I coaxed the tangles out of her hair and ended up with only this small amount pulled out. An inexpensive comb like this works fine.... just use the larger teeth.

I washed her body with liquid dish soap...which made her legs feel a bit sticky until they'd fully dried. Then I stood her up in a glass so her hair would dry while hanging straight. I gently patted her dry with a towel first to get rid of the excess water. I let her dry overnight.

Now she has a lovely one-of-a-kind crocheted dress and matching beaded handbag.
Her gold shoes were a very lucky find at a toy store. YES! You can still get packages of Barbie accessories that include a few pairs of shoes if you just look around. The pack I bought cost about $4.


I felt simplicity was best, so I kept her hair straight. It turned out to be very silky. The sparkles in the dress added enough glam.

5 comments:

Morgan the Muse said...

She turned out great!

Suzanne Dargie said...

Thank You! The purse especially turned out better than I thought it would...and the dress of course!

Ms. Leo said...

Great job and the dress looks great on her! Will you post the pattern for the dress?

Suzanne Dargie said...

To tell you the truth, there is no pattern! Basically just double crochet all around....and I did it right on her so I would know it would hug her curves!

Suzanne Dargie said...

Oops! I meant single crochet! I've been doing some other stuff lately that has double.